Growing up, John was a bit spoiled when it came to food. John’s mom, whether she would admit it or not, is a great cook and put a lot of delicious meals on their family dinner table. Like any home cook, she was also always on the lookout for meals that could be put on the table quickly.
Ring Bologna was one of these meals. Ring Bologna is a seasoned and smoked sausage in an inedible casing that is tied together to form a ring shape that gives it its name.
Our Ring Bologna is 100% beef seasoned and smoked by Nimrod Meats into a delicious sausage that is great for bringing flavor and convenience to your meals.
Preparing Ring Bologna
Ring Bologna is pre-cooked in the smoking process, so preparation just entails getting it heated through. The simplest method is to heat it up in a skillet with some water following these instructions:
- Place the thawed Ring Bologna into a skillet and add water to 1/3 to 1/2 the height of the bologna.
- The casing will hold in moisture that can spurt out after you heat it, so use a sharp knife to puncture two or three small holes along the length of the sausage prior to cooking
- Heat for 5 to 7 minutes on one side and then carefully turn over to the other side and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- When ready to eat, cut off string from the end and divide into four sections and cut lengthwise to remove the casing.
- Slice into 1/2 inch thick discs and serve with your choice of condiments.
John’s favorite way to eat Ring Bologna is with a dollop of horseradish mustard and ketchup on top. Any other condiments that you would put on a hot dog or bratwurst will also work well. Sauerkraut is also a common addition to use with your Ring Bologna.
John’s mom commonly paired Ring Bologna with french fries or kraft mac and cheese. But any quick sides that your family likes can be employed.
Other Ways to Prepare
Ring Bologna can also be cut up and grilled or sauteed. Remove the casing and cut into your desired shape, and then sauté or grill, browning the sausage and then serve as above.
Alternatively, you can use Ring Bologna as a hot dog replacement. Remove the casing and cut along the length and halve or quarter, heat in a pan or grill, and serve on a bun like you would a hot dog or bratwurst.
Ring Bologna can also be incorporated into dishes and casseroles. Add cut up pieces to baked beans, cheesy potatoes, or other favorite casseroles to add heartiness and flavor.
Whatever method you use, we hope that our Ring Bologna becomes a memorable part of your families’ meals.
John and Sarah Gilbert farm with their family in North Central Iowa. They care for pigs, cows, and the land to bring you beef and pork you can love. They have a passion for cooking and helping others develop the skills they need to put healthy and delicious home-cooked meals on the table. They can be contacted by email and through Facebook and Instagram.